Mission & Values
The National Crime Victim Law Institute actively promotes balance and fairness in the justice system through crime victim centered legal advocacy, education, and resource sharing.
We seek to promote a society in which:
- Every crime victim has comprehensive and meaningful legal rights and can access a knowledgeable attorney for representation in the justice system;
- Every crime victim’s attorney has access to education, training, and technical support from a community of experts;
- Everyone in the justice system is knowledgeable about and respects the legal rights of crime victims;
- Crime victims’ rights are routinely enforced to facilitate meaningful participation in the justice system; and
- Every right of every crime victim is honored in every case.
How We Advance Our Mission & Vision
- Enhancing fairness and justice for victims requires a process of social change, which is built on a balanced approach of three efforts: legal advocacy, training & education, and public policy.
- Building a system that supports victims’ rights requires participation of crime victims in achieving the mission.
- Legal Advocacy. We pair crime victims with free attorneys who fight to secure their rights. We do this through our national network of legal clinics and our National Alliance of Victims’ Rights Attorneys (NAVRA). We also ensure that every attorney and advocate can make the best arguments for the victims they serve by providing them with legal technical assistance in the form of legal research, writing, and strategic consultation. In addition, we file amicus curiae (friend of the court) briefs in victims’ rights cases nationwide.
- Training & Education. We train nationwide on the meaning, scope, and enforceability of victims’ rights through practical skills courses, online webinars, and teleconferences. We also host the only conference in the country focused on victim law. Our audiences include attorneys, judges, advocates, law enforcement, law students, and victims.
- Public Policy. We work with partners nationwide to secure the next wave of victims’ rights legislation – legislation that guarantees victims substantive rights and the procedural mechanisms to secure those rights. We provide model legislation, and testify when called upon.
© 2011 National Crime Victim Law Institute