School navigation

Law Admissions

Admissions Question: April 2

April 02, 2017

Q: I am an admitted student and do want to request a deferral to next year. What is the process for requesting one?

A: Requests for deferral must be submitted in writing (email or letter) to the Admissions Office with a full explanation as to the reasons for wanting to defer. Deferrals are not granted automatically, but are considered on a case-by-case basis at the time of the request. If approved, deferrals are granted for one year (potentially two if you are doing a long-term service commitment such as Teach for America Americorps). We recommend that you do not submit your request until you know for sure that you would like to defer, because if approved, you will immediately be removed from the current entering class and placed in the next year’s entering class. If your deferral request is granted, any merit scholarship offer you have received will also be deferred and guaranteed for the following year when you start. When a decision on your deferral request is made, we will notify you by email. You will also be required to submit a non-refundable deposit of $600.00 by September 15th in order to secure your seat.