Professor of Law
Legal Research Center
Professor Drummonds practiced law for 16 years in the law firm of Kulongoski, Heid, Durham, and Drummonds and its successor firms. He specialized in labor and employment law and his firm represented employees and unions. Prior to that time Professor Drummonds clerked for the California Supreme Court in San Francisco. Before joining Lewis and Clark’s faculty, Professor Drummonds was acknowledged in an Oregon State Bar publication as one of the “Best Lawyers in America.” More recently, Professor Drummonds served as an advisor to the Oregon Attorney General, to Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber, and Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski on labor relations, tenure law, and pension matters. He also teaches a course on the law of the global labor markets, and has published on such topics as choice of law and choice of forum for expatriate workers in the European Union, and the extraterritorial application of U.S. discrimination laws in Europe and elsewhere. Professor Drummonds has also published in the areas of labor and employment law, torts, and legal ethics. He has been a frequent contributor to the CCH Labor Law Reports. Professor Drummonds organized the 1998 Lewis and Clark Forum on “Worldwide Labor Markets and Employment Law in the 21st Century,” as well as the 2006 Lewis and Clark Forum on “The Aging of the Baby Boomers and America’s Changing Retirment System,” both of which featured prominent scholars from other law schools and colleges.
Specialty Areas & Course Descriptions
- Torts I,
- Torts II: Toxics,
- Employment Law I and II,
- Labor Law,
- The Law of Global Labor Markets Seminar
- B.A. 1969 University of Oregon
- J.D. cum laude 1972 Harvard Law School
- Editor, Harvard Law Review
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
Separately Published Works
- DERFLER-BRYANT ACT - S.B. 750 AND THE 1995 AMENDMENTS TO THE OREGON PUBLIC EMPLOYEE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING ACT, 14 LERC Monograph Series 13 (1996).
- THE CONTINUING DUTY TO BARGAIN: TWO VIEWS, (University of Oregon Labor Education and Research Center, LERC Monograph Series, Issue No. 2, 1986) (co-authored with Nancy J. Hungerford and Paul B. Gamson).
- THE LAST STAND (Ed. Daniel R. Barney), co-author of chapters 2, 4, 6 (1974).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Cross-Border Employment Contracts: Choice of Law, Choice of Forum, and the Enforcement of Cross-Border Judgments in the European Union in PROCEEDINGS OF THE 61st ANNUAL NEW YORK UNIVERSITY CONFERENCE ON LABOR, Kluwer Academic Publishing (July 7, 2010).
- Beyond the Employee Free Choice Act: Unleashing the States in Labor-Management Relations Policy, 10 Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy 83 (2009) (SSRN Link).
- Reforming Labor Law by Reforming Labor Law Preemption Doctrine to Allow the States to Make More Labor Relations Policy, 70 Louisiana Law Review 97 (2009).
- Introduction to International Labor and Employment Law, in Introduction to Labor and Employment Law: What Are the Roles of Labor and Employment Lawyers in the Global Marketplace? Part 5, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and the ABA Center for Continuing Legal Education (on-line) (January 2009).
- The Liability for Governmental Negligence, in Tort Reform in Oregon: A Special Report, Oregon Health Forum/Oregon Health News (April 2009).
- American Employees Abroad: The Extraterritorial Effect of U.S. Discrimination and Other Employment Statutes, in Oregon Civil Rights Newsletter, Oregon State Bar (December 2008).
- International Legal Issues for Labor and Employment Lawyers, in Latest Developments in Labor and Employment Law, Oregon State Bar (2008).
- New Thinking on the Preemption of Products Liability Common Law Tort Claims by Federal Regulatory Statutes, 17 Oregon State Bar Products Liability Newsletter, No. 2 (Summer 2008).
- Drummonds on Chamber of Commerce v. Brown, http://lawprofessors. typepad.com/laborprof_blog/ 2008/03/drummonds- on-ch.html (March 6, 2008).
- Fate of Labor “Neutrality” Law Will Soon Be Decided, 962 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1551, Part 2 (February 2008) (Interview).
- The Union Authorization Card Majority Debate, 58 Labor Law Journal 4 (Winter 2007).
- Arbitration: May Parties Expand Judicial Review?, 952 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1531 (September 2007) (Interview).
- RICO Cases, 940 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1507, Part 2 (March 2007) (Interview).
- The Aging of the Baby Boomers and America’s Changing Retirement System, 11 Lewis & Clark Law Review 267 (2007) (SSRN Link).
- Interview Comments in The U.S. Supreme Court’s 2005 Term: Retaliation, Sovereign Immunity, and RICO, 57 Labor Law Journal 257 (Winter 2006).
- No Decision on “Enterprise” in Immigration Case, 928 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1483 (September 2006) (Interview).
- Sovereign Immunity Doctrine Still Undecided, 928 CCH Laabor Law Reports Issue 1483 (September 2006).
- AFL-CIO Split - Temporary Realignments Or Lasting Change” 916 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1459, Part 2 (March 2006) (Interview).
- Fair Labor Standards Act - USSCT: Walking Time Is Compensible 910 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1445, Part 2 (December, 2005) (Interview).
- State Immunity Under ADA Title II: Take Two 904 Labor Law Reports Issue 1433 (Sept. ‘05) (Interview).
- Disparate Impact: Right Without A Remedy?, 894 Labor Law Reports, Issue 1413 (April, ‘05) (Interview).
- Does ADEA Allow Disparate Impact Claims? 880 Labor Law Reports Issue 1385 (Sept., ‘04) (Interview).
- USSCT: States Not Immune in FLSA Suits, 850 CCH Labor Law Reports, Issue 1323, (June, 2003).
- No Backpay for Undocumented Workers, 828 CCH Labor Law Reports - Insight Issue 1282 (Sept. ‘02).
- Court Considers State Immunity In FMLA Suits 828 CCH Labor Law Reports – Insight Issue 1282 (Sept. ‘02).
- Court Grapples With ADA, NLRA Issues 751 CCH Labor Law Reports, Issue 1169, Part 2 (March 21, 2001).
- The Dance of Statutes and the Common Law: Employment, Alcohol, and Other Torts 36 Will. L. Rev. 939 (2000).
- Arbitration Awards — Court to Decide Public Policy Issue, 722 CCH Labor Law Reports, Issue 1125(August 16, 2000).
- Employment Law for Transnational Businesses in a World of Nikes and Microsofts (A Retrospective Essay on the 1998 Lewis & Clark Forum and the Message From Seattle in 1999). 4 J. Small & Emerging Bus. L. 249 (2000).
- Statutes As Basis or Bar For Tort or Tort-Like Liability In Employment Law. [Symposium Presentation Feb. 26, 2000, Willamette Law School.]
- Age Descrimination-ADEA Loses to States’ Sovereign Immunity 696 CCH Labor Law Reports, Issue 1087, Part 2 (Feb. 16, 2000).
- States Immune From FLSA Suits-Will Other Employment Laws Be Affected, 676 CCH Labor Law Reports-Insight Issue 1057, Part 2 (Sept. 1999).
- USSC: Federalism and FLSA, 659 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 1032, Part 2 (May 1999).
- The Sister Sovereign States and Federal Preemption Developments, 1997-1998 to American Bar Association, Section on Labor and Employment Law, State Labor and Employment Law Developments Committee [paper summarized in Committee Newsletter Vol 1, No 12 (Summer 1998)], 1998 Program Materials.
- A Case Study in the Ex Ante Veto Negotiations Process: The Derfler-Bryant Act and the 1995 Amendments to the Oregon Public Employee Collective Bargaining Law, 32 Willamette Law Review 69 (1996).
- After Senate Bill 750: Implications of the 1995 Reform of Oregon’s Public Employee Collective Bargaining Act, Chapter 1, 14 LERC Monograph Series 13-72 (1996).
- Prevailing Wages, Apprentices, and ERISA Preemption, 525 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 830, Part 2 (1996).
- The Ex Ante Veto Negotiations Process: The Derfler-Bryant Act and the 1995 Amendments to The Public Employee Collective Bargaining Law, in 32 WILLAMETTE LAW REVIEW (1996).
- Prevailing Wages: Can They be Required in the Private Sector? 473 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 108, Part 2 (1995).
- USSC Section 301 Preemption 420 CCH Labor Law Reports Issue 96 (1994).
- Employer Unfair Labor Practices, Chapter 9 (1994 Revisions and original) in Public Sector Labor Law, (Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education) (co-author).
- The Law and Ethics of the Percentage Contingent Fee in Oregon, 72 Oregon Law Review 859 (1993).
- United States Supreme Court: Section 301 Preemption - Is the Court Narrowing the Scope?, CCH LABOR LAW REPORTS INSIGHT, No. 420, Issue 96 (September, 1994).
- The Sister Sovereign States: Preemption and The Second Twentieth Century Revolution in the Law of the American Workplace, 62 FORDHAM LAW REVIEW 469 (1993).
- Back to the Future of Oregon Negligence Law: The Death Knell of Fazzolari, September 1993 TRIAL LAWYER 9.
- Federal Preemption of State Law Claims, Oct-Dec 1991, Trial Lawyer Journal 12 (1991) (Oregon Trial Lawyers Association).
- Federal Remedy to Redress Private Deprivations of Civil Rights, (student note) in THE SUPREME COURT, 1970 Term, 85 HARVARD LAW REVIEW 95 (1972).