Dean and Erskine Wood Sr. Professor of Law
Legal Research Center
After graduating from law school, Dean Johnson clerked for Judge Alfred Goodwin, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. She was in private practice with a Portland law firm, specializing in real estate finance and land use, before joining the faculty in 1980. Johnson has received both the Leo Levenson and Burlington Northern Foundation awards for excellence in teaching. In 2008, Dean Johnson was named Jeffrey Bain Faculty Scholar in recognition of her exemplary teaching and scholarship in business law; and was installed as the Erskine Wood Sr. Professor of Law in 2011. She became Dean of the Law School in 2014. Also in 2008, Johnson was elected to the American Law Institute. Johnson is a member of the Oregon State Bar and serves on various bar task forces charged with drafting business legislation. Dean Johnson currently teaches classes in business associations and securities regulation. Her primary research areas are in corporate and securities law and her recent scholarship focuses on private placements and retail investors.
Specialty Areas & Course Descriptions
- B.A. with honors 1973 Mills College
- J.D. 1976 Yale Law School
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Private Placements: Will FINRA Sink in the Sea Change? 82 University of Cincinnati Law Review 465 (2013).
- Securities Class Actions in State Court, 80 University of Cincinnati Law Review 349 (2012).
- Fleecing Grandma: A Regulatory Ponzi Scheme, 16 Lewis & Clark Law Review 993 (2012).
- Secondary Liability For Securities Fraud: Gatekeepers In State Court, 36 Delaware Journal of Corporate Law 463 (2011).
- Securities Class Actions in State Court (forthcoming U. Cinn. Law Rev, 2011)
- Private Placements: A Regulatory Black Hole, 35 Delaware Journal of Corporate Law 151 (2010).
- Critiquing Arbitration of Shareholder Claims, 36 Securities Regulation Law Journal 181 (2008) (co-authored with Edward Brunet).
- Substantive Fairness in Securities Arbitration, 75 University of Cincinnati Law Review 459 (2007) (co-authored with Edward Brunet).
- What’s Good for the Goose? The Unintended Consequences of the Federal Takeover of Corporate Law, 2 Journal of Business and Technology Law 251 (2007).
- Wall Street Meets the Wild West: Bringing Law and Order to Securities Arbitration, 84 North Carolina Law Review 123 2005).
- Earthworms and Pyramid Schemes: Judge Goodwin’s Contributions to the Federal Securities Laws, 15 Western Legal History 45 (2002).
- Risky Business: Choice-of-Law and the Unincorporated Entity, 1 THE JOURNAL OF SMALL AND EMERGING BUSINESS LAW 249 (Winter 1997).
- The Oregon Limited Liability Partnership Act, 32 WILLAMETTE LAW REVIEW 147 (1996).
- Limited Liabilities for Attorneys: General Partners Need Not Apply, 51 THE BUSINESS LAWYER 85 (1995).
- Corporate Mergers: Redefining the Rule of Target Directors, 136 UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA LAW REVIEW 315 (1987) (co-authored with Mary Siegel).
- Predators Rights: Multiple Remedies for Wall Street Sharks Under the Securities Laws and RICO, 10 JOURNAL OF CORPORATION LAW 3 (1984).
- The Emperor’s Old Clothes: Piercing the Bar’s Ethical Veil, 13 WILLAMETTE LAW JOURNAL 221 (1977)(co-authored with Paul H. Francis).
- “Limited Liability Partnerships,” published as Chapter 3 of ADVISING OREGON BUSINESS OSB (2001)(co-authored with James M. Kennedy).
- Introduction (Oregon Land Use Symposium), 14 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW v (1984, No. 4) (co-authored with Laurie A. Bennett).
- General Resource Management Goals - Goals 5-8, Chapter 5 in 1 LAND USE (Oregon State Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education 1982 Revision).
- Contract of Sale, Form 4 in II REAL PROPERTY (Oregon State Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education 1981 Revision).