Professor of Law
Legal Research Center
After graduation from law school, Professor Brown clerked for the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. He was an associate with a large San Francisco law firm from 1974 to 1976, during which time he also served as a reader for the California bar examination. Before coming to the law school in 1978, Brown was a legislation attorney for the Joint Committee on Taxation of the U.S. Congress. Brown often speaks to groups that follow taxation issues. He participates in the American Law Institute Tax Advisory Group and closely follows pending tax legislation. His most recent publication was a joint effort with Professor Bogdanski on an amendment to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. He is a member of the American Law Institute, California State Bar, and Oregon State Bar.
Specialty Areas & Course Descriptions
- Federal Income Taxation
- Corporate Taxation
- Advanced Tax Seminar
- Partnership Taxation
- International Taxation
- B.A. 1969 Stanford University
- J.D. 1972 University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall)
- Note and comment editor, California Law Review
- Member, Order of the Coif
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Farewell to “Freezes”: Section 2036(c), 42 TAX NOTES 1633 (March 27, 1989) (co-authored with John A. Bogdanski).
- Agency Procedures with Abuse Reports, 35 JUVENILE AND FAMILY COURT JOURNAL 45 (1984) (co-authored with Jules Riley).
- 1982 Federal Tax Developments - Part I: Legislative Developments, in RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN THE LAW 1982 1 (Oregon Law Institute 1982).