Career Services Blog
Jobs in the Time of Corona: Career Connect is a Powerful Job Search ToolMay 12, 2020
by Devra Sigle Hermosilla, Assistant Dean of Career and Professional Development
As a Lewis & Clark Law student or recent graduate, you likely know that Career Services’ jobs portal is Career Connect, a student services platform by 12Twenty. But Career Connect is much more than just a job posting site – it is a powerful tool to use in your job search.
Use the following Career Connect features to manage your job search:
- Preferences: Update your job search preferences on the Profile/Background tab to trigger notices and reports when jobs are posted that match your desired employment type, practice area, or city. Career Services uses these indicators, along with other search fields such as language ability, to send job notifications to you based on your skills, background, and preferences. The more complete and updated your information is on Career Connect, the more helpful it is in your job search process.
- Appointments: Use the Appointments feature of Career Connect to easily schedule an appointment online with your assigned career counselor, notating the purpose of the meeting as well as attaching relevant documents for review.
Saved Job Searches: You can save multiple searches of the jobs database, and to receive email notification of new jobs that match your searches. You can save a search for law firm litigation positions as well as government environmental positions without having to recreate those different search terms every time.
- Events: View upcoming school and community career related events.
- Salary Negotiation, Hiring Timeline, and Alum Connections: The information provided by students and graduates to the Career Connect system helps generate anonymous market data to include market salary ranges for specific industries and job types, hiring timelines, and even connections to assist with networking and interview preparation and research.
- Job Postings: The Career Connect job posting site allows employers to post jobs directly but Career Services actively mines faculty, alumni, and market resources for job leads to include. Belonging to the 12Twenty community also allows employers from across the country to post national jobs for our students and graduates.
And two brand new features launching this summer include:
- Resource Library: The Resource Library will allow registered user access to Lewis & Clark Law specific career resources such as event recordings, forms, and other career content.
- Candidate Search: A modern version of the traditional “resume book,” Candidate Search will allow Lewis & Clark Law students and recent graduates to voluntarily submit their resume for review by registered employers for job posting interview consideration, streamlining the traditional application process.
Career Connect is very easy to use, especially with 12Twenty Guide’s built-in tutorials, articles, videos, and function guides to answer your “how to” questions around the clock. Let Career Services know if you have any questions about updating your profile and setting up your own searches. Career Connect can be a powerful ally in your job search journey!