Brief Background: Prior to law school, I spent several years as a public-school STEM teacher teaching chemistry, biology, physics, and engineering to 7th-12th grade students in Michigan, Utah, and Oregon. I saw the impact involvement in the criminal justice system could have on teens, both long and short term consequences that could change the trajectory of their lives, and I decided to go to law school.
List up to 3 activities (school-related or not) that you are involved in. Pick the ones that are most important to you and tell us why.
PILP: I think it is important that public interest remain open for all students to pursue. Raising money for PILP that benefits myself and my peers has been one of the highlights of my law school experience.
WICL: The tight-knit Women in Criminal Law Group has served as a place to learn, grow, and vent and I am so fortunate to have been a part of it.
DALSA: Being a part of DALSA’s first year and advocating alongside my peers on campus for accessibility and equity has been some of the most meaningful work.
Tell us about a meaningful academic experience that happened at Lewis & Clark, outside of the classroom.
For me, participating in the Criminal Justice Reform Clinic as a 2L and then returning as a student staff member as a 3L has been my most significant learning experience. I have worked alongside dozens of clients, written clemency petitions granted by the Governor, and learned what it takes to be an effective legal communicator. I also have visited all of the youth correctional facilities in the state to provide legal assistance to teens who are incarcerated.
Portland & Campus Top 10:
- Best Donuts: It’s a tie between Pip’s Original and Doe Donuts (vegan)!
- Best Pizza: Assembly Brewing’s Detroit Style Pizza- reminds me of home.
- Best Hidden Gem: The Goodwill on SE Grand and Stephens Street
- Best Spot to Study on Campus: The tiny study room tucked into the top floor of Wood Hall, looks out directly into the forest and you can open the window and smell the mist coming off the trees.
- Top 3 Vegan Spots: Kati Thai, Vtopia Cheese Shop, Homegrown Smoker Vegan BBQ
- Best Brunch: Jam on Hawthorne. Hands down.
- Campus Perk: Dogs!
- Food Carts to Check Out: MF Tasty, Thicc Boi, Tehuana Oaxacan Cuisine (all are 10/10)
- Best Place to Nap on Campus: The PILP Office
- Best Place to Wander Away from Studying: Hippo Hardware
Contact:Natalie Hollabaugh, 3L
Elk Rapids, Michigan
University (BS and MA)