Clinical Professor of Law and Animal Law Clinic Director
Boley Law Library
Kathy Hessler is a clinical professor of law at Lewis & Clark Law School. She is the first faculty member hired to teach animal law full time in a law school. She received her JD from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary and her LLM from Georgetown University Law Center. She is the Director of the Animal Law Clinic and the Aquatic Animal Law Initiative, as well as the faculty advisor for the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund and Animal Law Review at Lewis & Clark.
Professor Hessler co-authored Animal Law in a Nutshell (with Pamela Frasch and Sonia Waisman), Animal Law – New Perspectives on Teaching Traditional Law (with Joyce Tischler, Pamela Hart, and Sonia Waisman) and the amicus brief (with Pamela Frasch and Megan Senatori) submitted in the US v. Stevens case, on behalf of 45 law professors who teach animal law. She has written numerous law review and other articles and teaches and lectures widely across the U.S. and internationally.
Professor Hessler was a board member with the Animal Legal Defense Fund; helped found the Animal Law Committee of the Cuyahoga County Bar; was the chair and a founder of the Animal Law Section and the Balance in Legal Education Section of the American Association of Law Schools (AALS). She was also a co-chair of the Clinical Legal Education Section of the AALS and is on the board of the Center for Teaching Peace.
Specialty Areas & Course Descriptions
- LLM, 1997, Georgetown University Law Center
- JD, 1987, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William and Mary
- BA, 1985, George Washington University
Professor Kathy Hessler
Aquatic Animal Law, with Kelly Levenda, Rebecca Jenkins, and Sonia Waisman, Carolina Academic Press (2020).
Aquatic Animals and the Animal Welfare Act, Animal Law Review (forthcoming 2019).
SSRN - In the “top 10% of Authors on SSRN by total new downloads within the last 12 months” (January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, and September 2018)
Cruelty to Human and Non-Human Animals in the Wild Caught Fishing Industry, 18.1 Sustainable Dev. L. & Pol’y 30, with Becky Jenkins and Kelly Levenda (Fall 2017).
Listed as a top 10 download on SSRN: (February 2018) AARN: Agriculture, AARN: Human-Animal Studies (Sub-Topic), Animal Law eJournal, Anthropology of Agriculture & Nutrition eJournal, BioRN: Public Health, Biology & Law eJournal, Food Law & Policy eJournal, and Indigenous Nations & Peoples Law eJournal; (March 10, 2018) AARN: Social Justice & Human Rights, AARN: Topics of Concern in Applied Anthropology, and Applied & Practicing Anthropology eJournal; (March 17, 2018) AARN: Topics of Concern in Applied Anthropology and Applied & Practicing Anthropology eJournal; (March 23, 2018) AARN: Social Justice & Human Rights and AARN: Topics of Concern in Applied Anthropology; (March 24, 2018) Applied & Practicing Anthropology eJournal, BioRN Subject Matter eJournals, and Biology Research Network; (April 2, 2018) AARN: Social Justice & Human Rights and AARN: Topics of Concern in Applied Anthropology; (April 11, 2018) AARN: Environmental Law; and (September 28, 2018) EcoRN: Fish & Wildlife Ecology
Animal Law - New Perspectives on Teaching Traditional Law, with Joyce Tischler, Pamela Hart, and Sonia Waisman, Carolina Academic Press (2017).
Animal Law and Legal Developments in the First 100 Days of the Trump Administration, 23.2 Animal Law 209 (2017).
Listed as a top 10 download on SSRN (September 2017) AARN: Human-Animal Studies, AARN: Other Political Anthropology and Animal Law eJournal; PSN: Political Behavior; and PRN: Human Rights, Justice for Nonhuman Animals, Ecologies, Environments
Implementing Toxicity Testing in the 21st Century: Challenges and Opportunities, with Paul A. Locke, Margit Westphal, Joyce Tischler, Pamela Frasch, Bruce Meyers, and Daniel Krewski, 20 Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health 198 (2017).
Animal Law in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition, with Pamela Frasch and Sonia Waisman, Thompson West (2016).
Animal Law – A Global Phenomenon, with Pamela Frasch and Natasha Dolezal, Global Journal of Animal Law, Åbo Akademi University Department of Law, Finland (1/2014).
The Legal Framework of Animal Testing: Challenges and Opportunities, 54 South Texas Law Review 587 (Spring 2013).
The Role of the Animal Law Clinic
- O Papel Do Ensino De Prática Jurídica EM Direito (The Role of the Animal Law Clinic), (Portuguese translation). Animal 61, Revista Brasileira de Direito Animal, Ano 2013, Vol. 8, Número 14 (September-December).
- Animal Law Anthology, University of Zurich (2012).
- 60 Journal of Legal Education 263, (Number 2/November 2010).
Report and Recommendations on the Status of Clinical Faculty in the Legal Academy, with Bryan Adamson, Bradford Colbert, Katherine Kruse, Robert Kuehn, Mary Helen McNeal, Calvin Pang, and David Santacroce,
- 62 Journal of Legal Education 115 (2012).
- 36 Journal of the Legal Profession 353 (2012).
Animal Law in a Nutshell, with Pamela Frasch, Sarah Kutil and Sonia Waisman, Thompson West (2011).
Animals in Testing: Concerns and Consequences:
- Animal Law and Scientific Research: Ethics and Legal Aspects of Animal Experimentation in Brazil and EUA, Heron Gordilho, Ed. (forthcoming).
- Fundamentos Filosóficos E Animais EM Testes: Preocupações E Consequências (Philosophical Foundations and Animals in Testing: Concerns and Consequences) 89 Revista Brasileira de Direito Animal (Portugese translation) Vol. 6, Número 8, (January-June) Ano 2011.
- Perspectives Philosophiques Sur la Recherche Animale, L’Animal Dans la Spirale des Besoins de l’Humain, p. 265 (French translation) (M. Lachance (dir.)), Cowansville, Yvon Blais (2010).
- Perspectives Philosophiques Sur la Recherche Animale, (French translation) 1 Revue Semestrielle de Droit Animalier – RSDA (Observatoire des Mutations Institutionnelles et Juridiques, Limoges, Fr.), 327 (2010).
- Philosophical Foundations and Animals in Testing: Concerns and Consequences, (Japanese translation) I. Shimazu ed., Crime, Restoration and Responsibility, Research Project Report No.185, Chiba University Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, pp. 36-44. (From the proceedings of the Japanese Association of Legal Philosophy) (2010).
Mediating Animal Law Matters, 2 Journal of Animal Law and Ethics 21 (2007).
CITED in Augillard v. Madura, 257 S.W.3d 494, 503 (TX Ct. of App., 2008).
Bridge of Hope, Journey to Justice: An Essay, Volume 3, Issue 1 Seattle Journal for Social Justice 429, (Fall/Winter 2004).
Early Efforts to Suppress Protest: Unwanted Abolitionist Speech, 7 Boston University Public Interest Law 185 (1998).
Where Do We Draw the Line Between Harassment and Free Speech? An Analysis of Hunter Harassment Law, 3 Animal Law 129 (1997).
CITED in People v. Sanders, 696 N.E.2d 1144, 1150 (Ill. S.Ct., 1998).
Report on the Enforcement of the Clean Water Act as it Relates to CAFOs by Oregon’s Department of Agriculture, with Denise Luk and Suzanne McMillan (Spring 2012).
Report and Recommendations on the Status of Clinical Faculty in the Legal Academy, by the American Association of Law Schools Section on Clinical Legal Education, Task Force on the Status of Clinicians and the Legal Academy (March 29, 2010).
Exotic Animals as Pets, with Tanith Balaban, American Bar Association GP Solo, Vol. 26, No. 5 (July/August 2009).
Agricultural Animals and the Law, with Tanith Balaban, American Bar Association GP Solo, Vol. 26, No. 5 (July/August 2009).
Amicus Curiae brief filed with the United States Supreme Court in the case of U.S. v. Stevens, drafted with Megan A. Senatori, Pamela D. Frasch, and Laura Handzel. The brief was filed on behalf of a group of American animal law professors to offer expert opinion on the question of whether preventing animal cruelty is a compelling governmental interest (2009).
Ohio Non-violent Civil Disobedience Protest Manual (1996, updated 2002, 2003).
Ohio Non-violent Civil Disobedience Protest Manual, 1996, updated 2002, 2003.