Emeritus Professor of Law
Professor Large joined the faculty in 1977, having previously been on the faculty of the University of Wisconsin. Professor Large was one of the first environmental lawyers in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, representing the Sierra Club and other environmental groups in Supreme Court cases such as Sierra Club v. Morton, and numerous Circuit Court decisions. He also served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corp, and participated as a prosecutor in one of the celebrated My Lai war crimes prosecutions. Large is the author of three books and numerous articles on land use, environmental controls, real estate, water rights and disability issues. He has been a visiting professor at Vanderbilt University, the University of Glasgow (Scotland), the University of Auckland (New Zealand), and the University of Arizona. Present projects include an article on the First Amendment and content discrimination, as it applies to regulation of billboards.
Specialty Areas and Course Descriptions
- Land Use
- Conflicts of Law
- BA 1964 Cornell University
- LLB 1967 Cornell Law School
- Articles editor, Cornell Law Review
- Member, Order of the Coif, Phi Kappa Phi
Separately Published Works
- PROPERTY: CASES AND MATERIALS (Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College 1994).
- CONFLICTS OF LAW(Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College 1994).
- LAND USE: CASES AND MATERIALS (Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College 1993).
- SPECIAL PROBLEMS OF THE DEAF UNDER THE EDUCATION FOR ALL HANDICAPPED CHILDREN ACT OF 1975 (Galleudent University Press 1981), also printed in 58 WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LAW QUARTERLY 213 (1980).
- I & II Land Application of Wastewater and State Water Law, EPA-IAG-D5-0799, NTIS PB-277 120 (Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Robert S. Kerr Environmental Research Laboratory 1978).
- WISCONSIN REAL ESTATE LAW (Wisconsin Real Estate Examining Board 1976) (co-author).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Lucas: A Flawed Attempt to Redefine the Mahon Analysis, 23 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 883 (1993).
- Panel Discussion (A Colloquium on Lucas), 23 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 925 (1993).
- Irrigated Agriculture: Economic, Environmental, Disposal and Legal Problems, 57 THE APPRAISAL JOURNAL 406 (1987) (co-author).
- The Supreme Court and the Takings Clause: The Search for a Better Rule, 18 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 3 (1987).
- Defining “Valuable” Mineral Deposits - A Continuing Legal Quagmire, 1986 ARIZONA STATE LAW JOURNAL 453.
- The Land Law of Scotland - A Comparison with American and English Concepts, 17 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 1 (1986).
- Proving that the Strength of the British Navy Depends on the Number of Old Maids in England: A Comparison of Scientific Proof with Legal Proof, 11 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 555 (1981)(co-authored with Preston Michie).
- Book Review, 10 E NVIRONMENTAL LAW REVIEW 213 (1979) (reviewing B. Frieden, THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION HUSTLE (1979)).
- This Land is Whose Land? Changing Concepts of Land as Property, 1973 WISCONSIN LAW REVIEW 1039.
- Is Anybody Listening? The Problem of Access in Environmental Litigation, 1972 WISCONSIN LAW REVIEW 62.