Matthew B. Murray
Matt joined Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen in 2008 as a shareholder and the branch manager of the Charlottesville office. A longtime Charlottesville resident, Matt champions the legal rights of personal injury and medical malpractice victims in the Piedmont and Shenandoah Valley regions. With a career in personal injury and medical malpractice law spanning over 30 years, Matt brings substantial experience in trying complex cases in state and federal courts. He is deeply committed to his clients and puts forth the efforts and resources necessary to hold wrongdoers accountable for the harm they cause to innocent victims. Matt won a 10 million dollar jury verdict in 2003 - the largest defamation verdict in Virginia history. He has also obtained many million dollar verdicts and settlements for seriously injured victims.
Before joining Allen & Allen, Matt was the lead trial attorney in the personal injury section of Richmond & Fishburne, L.L.P. Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, he is also a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, has an “AV” rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, and has been recognized since 1993 in the reference book Best Lawyers in America.
Matt currently serves as a Vice President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of its Executive Council. He has served as past President of both the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association and the Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court.
- Albemarle High School - 1965
- BA University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - 1970
- Northwestern School of Law - 1975
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Partner & Trial Attorney, Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen (2008 – Present)
Responsibilities include management of the Charlottesville, Virginia office
- Partner & personal injury litigator, Richmond & Fishburne, L.L.P. (1982 – 2007)
- Partner & trial attorney - Taylor, Brooks, Zunka and Murray (1979 – 1982)
- Assistant Commonwealth Attorney, City of Charlottesville (1975 – 1978)
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America (1993 – Present)
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers
- Civil Trial Advocate – National Board of Trial Advocacy
- President – Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (2010-2011)
- President – Charlottesville-Albermarle Bar Association (2001)
- President – Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court (2003 – 2004)
- Board of Trustees – Northwestern School of Law
- Faculty – Virginia College of Trial Advocacy
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Association for Justice
- District of Columbia Bar
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia
Matt and his wife Mary are long time residents of Charlottesville. Their four children all attended Charlottesville High School and continue to make Charlottesville their home. For the past 14 years Matt has been an avid rock climber. Most recently, he has added ice climbing to his passions - “It is total insanity, but so much fun”. A lover of the outdoors, he also enjoys mountain biking and riding a way too fast motorcycle, but his greatest pleasure is spending time with his grandchildren and family.