Legal Resources (because we have to)
- Bike stolen? Find info here about registering, ads for stolen bikes, etc.
- Bike Law 101 info from BikePortland.org and Portland Bureau of Transportation.
Fun Portland Bike Stuff!
Sunday Parkways: throughout the summer. Portland Sunday Parkways is about connecting neighborhoods and people: walkers, runners, bicyclists, seniors, adults, and children all enjoying streets filled with surprises, performers, physical activities and food ”“ and traffic-free. The 6-8 mile routes connect Portland’s beautiful parks and offer a chance for participants to listen to music, try other activities, such as hula hooping, or just relax and enjoy the smiling faces.
Bike Commute Challenge: in September. Since 1995, the BTA has offered challenges ”“ and rewards ”“ to bikers and businesses when they bike to work. The BTA’s annual Bike Commute Challenge is a friendly competition — workplace against workplace — with benefits for companies and individual cyclists when employees bike to work during the month of September. The workplaces with the highest percentage of commutes by bicycle during the month win!
Breakfast on the Bridges: The last Friday of every month Shift volunteers serve breakfast to bicyclists on the Steel and Hawthorne bridges. Many bike commuters have come to look forward to hot coffee and delicious pastries on their way to work once a month - and you can’t beat the view! They generally arrive on the bridges around 7:00 a.m. and stay till 9:00.
- Pedalpalooza: Pedalpalooza is 2+ weeks of bikey fun in June. With 257 events, most organized by individuals, bikers of all persuasions are likely to find many events of interest. Nearly all events are free.
Bike Maps (these are available in bike shops all over the city, including at REI)
Order free bike maps here.
Washington County bike maps here.
Links and Other Resources
- The Portland Bureau of Transportation has an amazing website full of tons of resources. Click here to find out everything you want to know about bikes in Portland, including parking maps, rental info, shops, resources, events, bike route maintenance, etc.
- BikePortland.org is a daily, interactive news source that covers the Portland bike scene. From street-level activism to the backrooms of City Hall — they cover the culture, personalities, businesses, breaking news, and important advocacy issues that define America’s most bike-friendly city.
- The Bicycle Transportation Alliance (BTA) is a nonprofit membership organization working to promote bicycling and improve bicycling conditions in Oregon and SW Washington. Check here for commuter resources, educational resources, bike events, road maintenance, legal clinics, workshops and publications.
- Shift is a loose-knit and informal bunch of bike-loving folks with a shared passion for the bicycle in all its glory: as toy, as transportation, as a tool for social and environmental change! Shift hosts events like coffee give-aways, social rides, educational bike tours, actions to raise awareness about cyclist injuries or deaths, information-sharing events, art-bike parades and more.