2018 Law School Commencement
Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 11:00am
Lewis & Clark College Pamplin Sports Center
Dessert Reception to follow, Law School Legal Research Center
- Live video stream of commencement.
- Degree Application Information
- For Graduating Students: List of instructions and information concerning the graduation ceremony (PDF)
- Graduation Requirements
- Graduation Announcement Cards! When your FREE graduation announcements are available, the Registars office will email you. There are no actual tickets for the ceremony. There is no guest limit. We do advise guests arrive early for parking and seating. The ceremony will start promptly at 11:00am.
- Perkins Loan Exit Interview Contact Susan Mako 503-768-7833 for more information
- Stafford Loan Exit Interview Contact Rodica Resendez at 503-768-7092 or email@example.com for more information.
- Certification Application Deadline The Registrar’s office will be emailing grads with certificate deadline information.
- Clear Outstanding Accounts Please check Web Advisor for any outstanding holds on your student account.
Commencement Speaker 2018
Questions & Assistance
- Questions regarding commencement should be directed to Liz Hobbs, firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 768-6648.
- Questions about graduation requirements should be directed to the Registrar’s Office, email@example.com or (503) 768-6614.
- If any of your guests have special needs or have a handicap tag, please contact Reggie Raiford at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 768-6621 for arrangements.
- Shuttle vans will run from the various campus parking lots starting at 9:00am on commencement day. There are no shuttles from hotels to the campus. The Pioneer Express will not be running on commencement day. Please check TriMet schedules. You can also use Uber or Lyft.
- Please visit our website for hotel information: https://www.lclark.edu/visit/places_to_stay/
Cap & Gown Pickup
- Cap and gown pick up will be done in the Student Lounge of the Law School on date TBD from 11am-2pm and 5pm-6pm. If you are unable to pick up your regalia, you may designate somebody to pick it up. You must provide written permission to release your regalia to your designee. This note needs to be given to the Jostens representative. If it is impossible for you to pick up your regalia on the dates listed above, you can pick it up in the TBD between 9am and 5pm. The last chance to pick up regalia is on commencement day from 8:15-9:30am in Zentbauer Room 126 (adjacent to Pamplin Sports Center). A few extra caps and gowns will be at Zentbauer if there are size issues. Graduates will be “hooded” on stage. You will not get a hood with the cap and gown.
- All regalia (hood, gown and cap) must be returned to the law school after the ceremony.
Location: Diane Gregg Pavilion (next door to the Agnes Flanagan Chapel)
The Cornelius Honor Society & Honor Students Reception
Friday, May 18, 2018 4:00-6:00 pm; South Campus Chapel, Lewis & Clark Grad School Campus
Membership in the Cornelius Honor Society is awarded to students nominated by faculty and staff. Selection is based on demonstrated excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service to the law school community. The award honors Dorothy L. Cornelius who served the law school for 20 years, first as secretary and finally as dean of admissions and registrar, before retiring in 1975. Her professionalism encouraged countless students; her warmth and support helped many students through to their own professional goals.
At 4:30 pm, Dean and Erskine Wood Sr. Professor of Law Jennifer Johnson will recognize the 2018 Cornelius Honor Society members and students graduating with honors.
Liz Hobbs will notify, via email, those student’s graduating with honors soon as calculations are completed a few days before graduation.
The new 2018 Cornelius Honor Society members will be notified via email in May.
Attire is business casual.
Contact Liz Hobbs in the Student Affairs office with any questions at: email@example.com or 503-768-6648.
Commencement Day Schedule
9:15 am Graduates must arrive, in regalia, at Pamplin Sports Center. Please be on time.
9:15 am Photographs: ALL LAW REVIEW GROUPS
9:30 am Photographs: GRADUATING CLASS 2018
9:50 am FORMATION FOR PROCESSIONAL -
- Graduates will be assembled in lines for the processional by faculty members serving as marshals. Each graduate will be checked off a list. Anyone not present will have their name crossed off the list, therefore the name will not be called. Associate Dean Emeritus Martha Spence will check pronunciation of all names. This takes one solid hour. Students who are not in line for the formation will not be on the list to be called at the ceremony. Please do not get out of line after your name is verified.
11:00 am THE PROCESSIONAL -
- Follow the instructions of the faculty marshals. Students lead the processional followed by faculty and the platform party.
11:15 am CONFERRING OF DEGREES -
- Following the commencement address, Dean Johnson will “present” the class. Graduates will be asked to stand, and then to come forward to receive their degrees.
- Graduates will come forward by rows. The faculty marshal will instruct each row when it is time to proceed toward the stage. Leave your cap on your seat, you will be hooded on stage. When you are the next to be called, stop at the bottom of the steps until your name is called.
- As soon as your name is read, proceed up the steps, stop in front of the person hooding. Turn to face the audience to be hooded.
- Next, walk to Dean Johnson who will shake your hand. A photographer will take your picture as the dean hands you your diploma. Move on to President Wim Wiewel who will shake your hand. Proceed on across the stage to receive the congratulations of the commencement speaker and other members of the platform party.
- Finally, proceed down the steps at the far end of the stage for a photo and to be directed to your seat.
- When you return to your seat remain standing until all graduates have received degrees. You will be directed when to be seated.
After the ceremony, return your regalia (cap, gown, and hood) to the Jostens’ representative at the law school. Charges will apply for regalia not returned. Contact Liz Hobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-768-6648 with any questions.
Graduates Commencement Pictures
Listed below are the website instructions for commencement photos taken by Grad Images.
1. Enter the graduate’s last name.
2. Enter Lewis and Clark Law School, select 2017. Your picture proofs will appear.
A dessert reception will be held at the law school following commencement. We hope that your family and friends will join you there.
Children’s Commencement Ceremony
In honor of the children of the graduating students, the Office of Alumni Relations and the Alumni Board of Directors present a special Children’s Commencement Ceremony held immediately following the Law School Commencement. Location at the law school TBD.
Family and friends are invited to attend this ceremony. Registration is necessary. Click on this link to register: Children’s Commencement Ceremony