We could not put this event together without the help we receive from many, many individuals and institutions. We owe them a huge thanks and appreciate all that they do.
In particular, we would like to thank the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) for their incredible support. We are grateful for our ongoing collaboration with ALDF and for the significant work individuals at ALDF put into the National Animal Law Competitions (NALC). Thank you, ALDF!
Thank you to everyone at UCLA School of Law who is working with us to ensure this year’s event is another success. We’d like to especially thank Professor Taimie Bryant for her help, guidance and insight.
We would like to extend a special thanks to both Dean Rachel Moran (UCLA School of Law) and Dean Robert Klonoff (Lewis & Clark Law School) for their tremendous support of both NALC and the field of animal law education.
We also thank all of the student competitors, their coaches, advisers, schools, etc., along with our guest judges, for their hard work and for traveling many miles to be a part of NALC. For our guest judges, we know how hard it can be to fit NALC into your busy schedules and demanding careers. Thank you for volunteering your time and expertise in order to help our competitors become better advocates.
Last but far from least, a HUGE thank you goes to the individuals who work so hard and volunteer countless hours writing the problems and grading briefs, bills and fact sheets.
Closing Argument Competition:
- Scott Heiser (ALDF) - Problem Author.
Legislative Drafting & Lobbying Competition:
- Kara Holmquist (MSPCA) - Problem Author / Bill & Fact Sheet Grader;
- Charlotte Wasserstein (Jones Day) - Bill & Fact Sheet Grader; and
- Pamela Frasch (CALS) - Bill & Fact Sheet Grader.
Appellate Moot Court Competition:
- Sonia Waisman (McCloskey Waring & Waisman LLP) - Primary author of the Memorandum Opinion, Briefing Order & Bench Brief. Consulting provided by Carter Dillard (ALDF), Matthew Liebman (ALDF) & Pamela Frasch (CALS).
- Tanith Balaban (Gordon Rees) - Brief Grader;
- Nicole Roth (Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe) - Brief Grader; and
- Mariann Sullivan (Our Hen House) - Brief Grader.