Professor Lansing was clerk in 1960-61 to Chief Justice William McAllister of the Oregon Supreme Court. He has been chair of the Torts Section of the Association of American Law Schools, faculty member of the American Academy of Judicial Education, vice chair of the American Bar Association’s Special Committee on Law School Faculty Liaison, and a member of the Portland City Club’s Research Board. In private practice from 1961 to 1967, he was the first executive director of the Oregon State Commission on Judicial Fitness and served on the Oregon Legislature’s Law Improvement Committee. Lansing edited a two-volume, multiauthor publication on damages, was a member of the executive board of the Oregon American Civil Liberties Union, and served as a pro tem trial judge. He is the author of a novel on law school, Skylarks and Lecterns, as well as coeditor of a volume on evidence for the Oregon State Bar. He has written the book Juggernaut—The Whitman Massacre Trial, published by the Ninth Circuit Historical Society, a book about the 1850 murder trial of five Cayuse Indians. His most recent book, entitled Nimrod – Courts, Claims, and Killing on the Oregon Frontier, published by the Washington State University Press, is a book about Oregon’s first reported murderer. Lansing is a member of the Oregon State Bar.
Specialty Areas and Course Descriptions
- BA 1954 Valparaiso University
- JD cum laude 1960 Willamette University College of Law
- Founding editor in chief, Willamette Law Review
Separately Published Works
- CRYSTALLING THE LEGACY: STORIES AND REFLECTIONS ON THE ACCREDITATION ERA OF A LAW SCHOOL (Lewis & Clark Law School, 2011).
- NIMROD — COURTS, CLAIMS, AND KILLING ON THE OREGON FRONTIER (Washington State University Press, 2005).
- AMICUS HUMORIAE, ed. Jarvis, Baker, McClurg (Carolina Academic Press 2003) (contributing author).
- GREAT AMERICAN TRIALS, ed. Edward Knappman (Gale Group, 2002) (contributing author).
- JUGGERNAUT: THE WHITMAN MASSACRE TRIAL 1850 (Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society 1993).
- SKYLARKS & LECTERNS: A LAW SCHOOL CHARTER (Huddleston-Brown 1983).
- EVIDENCE (Oregon State Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education 1986) (co-editor).
- DAMAGES (Oregon State Bar Committee on Continuing Legal Education 1973) (co-editor).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Animal Companion Puzzle: A Worth Unknown Though Height Taken, 18 ANIMAL LAW 105 (2011).
- The Crowning of Hearts: A Tribute to Dean Huffman, __ ENVIRONMENTAL LAW ___ (forthcoming 2007).
- Tribute to Bill Williamson: The Halcyon, 31 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 187 (2001).
- The Tragedy of Charity Lamb, 101 OREGON HISTORICAL QUARTERLY 40 (2000) (the story of Oregon’s first murderess in 1854).
- Faculty Meetings: A Quorum Plus Cramshaw, 17 NOVA L. REV. 818 (1993).
- Book Review, 95 OREGON HISTORICAL QUARTERLY 250 (1994) (reviewing LAW FOR THE ELEPHANT, LAW FOR THE BEAVER: ESSAYS IN THE LEGAL HISTORY OF THE NORTH AMERICAN WEST (1992)).
- The Agonies of Exam Grading, 23 RUTGERS LAW JOURNAL 107 (1991).
- The Creative Bridge Between Authors and Editors, Address Delivered to the National Conference of Law Reviews (March 31, 1985), in 45 MARYLAND LAW REVIEW 241 (1986).
- The Motherless-Calf, Aborted-Cow Theory of Cause,15 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 1 (1984).
- Enough is Enough: A Critique of the Morgan View of Rebuttable Presumptions in Civil Cases, 62 OREGON LAW REVIEW 485 (1983).
- Numerous bar and law school articles in the Oregon State Bar Bulletin.