We wouldn’t be here without the support of people like you!
Please make a donation by following the link below so we can continue to protect the environment. Despite the difficult times, Earthrise continues to fight for the environment and our clients. Here are just some of our achievements from this past year:
- Secured crucial protections for waters in Massachusetts from stormwater pollution by forcing EPA to abandon its illegal delay in implementing the state’s municipal stormwater permit.
- Achieved a precedent-setting ruling in the District of Columbia allowing greater access to federal courts to citizens challenging the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s program to provide loan assistance to industrial Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs).
- Successfully sued and forced the Forest Service to produce thousands of records related to an ongoing effort to protect Olympic National Park from excessive noise from overflights by military jets.
- Resolved a long-running lawsuit against EPA regarding Washington’s water quality standards that will require EPA to take action to protect endangered salmon. Washington must also now develop new criteria for fine sediment discharged into streams. These new standards will help wild salmon eggs incubating in gravel beds by ensuring the eggs are getting enough oxygen to survive.
- Filed a Clean Water Act citizen suit against the City of Medford regarding its unlawful pollution discharges to the Rogue River, which have contributed to longstanding detrimental changes to the downstream river ecosystem.
- Successfully challenged Oregon’s “1200-Z” Permit for discharges of stormwater from industrial activity, kicking off a two year process for DEQ to develop first-ever numeric limits for toxic pollutants copper, lead, and zinc applicable to stormwater pollution.
- Successfully contested a Clean Water Act permit for a proposed copper mine in Arizona, forcing a re-write of the permit due to its failure to consider the impacts of the mine’s “new sources” of copper pollution to a stream already impaired by too much copper.
- Obtained a court order requiring Oregon DEQ to address the state’s Clean Water Act permit backlog, which is the worst in the nation for major individual permits. Updating the permits will result in reducing pollution to Oregon’s waters.
- Assisted a coalition of New England public interest groups and individuals in opposing a planned transmission line that would bring electricity from large “megadams” in Canada to Massachusetts. Billed as “clean energy,” this electricity from large hydropower sources actually emits greenhouse gases in the form of methane releases, in addition to exposing Indigenous peoples to unacceptable levels of methylmercury in their traditional food.
- Sued to stop unregulated target shooting in our national forests, which threatens public safety and can cause wildfires. We seek to enforce a prohibition on unrestricted target shooting in the Los Padres National Forest’s management plan.
Your support will allow us to continue to take on these kinds of cases, achieve great results for the environment, and provide excellent learning opportunities for students, so that they too can join the fight when they graduate.
Please make a tax-deductible donation to Earthrise by clicking the button below. Even better, please consider becoming a monthly Earthrise donor to help level out our funding stream in these challenging times. Thank you.
Earthrise Law Center is a non-profit organization, operating under Lewis & Clark College’s tax exempt 501c3 status. For donation purposes, our EIN# is 93-0386858.