Last modified: September 2015
Specifically, this policy describes:
- The types of information We collect about you when you visit our Website;
- The types of information We may receive about you when you visit our Website;
- The types of information We may receive about you when you fill out information-request forms either directly on our Website or through a third-party service provider accessible through our Website; and
- Our practices for using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information We collect and receive:
- Through our Website;
- Through third-party service providers; and
- Through information-request forms you fill out either directly on our Website or through a third-party service provider accessible through our Website (e.g., Google, Inc. (“Google”)).
This policy does not apply to:
- Information collected by us offline, in person, or through any other means, including by telephone or on any other website operated by Clinic, Lewis & Clark College, or Lewis & Clark Law School;
- Information that is transmitted by e-mail; or
· Information collected by other websites that We may provide links to on our Website.
Third-Party Service Providers
We engage third-party service providers such as Google to provide us with analytics regarding Website usage and other services. We also engage third-party service providers who may operate websites, applications, and other content accessible through our Website. Information collected by third-party service providers or through third-party websites, applications, or other content may be subject to the privacy policies and practices of the third-party operators, which may be different than Clinic’s policies and practices with regard to data collection, use, maintenance, disclosure, and security procedures. We are not responsible for the content or practices of third-parties.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. Without the written consent of a parent or legal guardian, no one under age 13 may provide any personal information to the Clinic, either through our Website or through any information-request forms available through our Website. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features, use any of the interactive features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us. If you believe We might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact Julieanna Elegant at email@example.com or (503)768-6940.
Information We Collect About You When You Visit Our Website, and How We Use It
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, We use automatic data collection technologies to collect your IP address.
Information We May Receive About You When You Visit Our Website
We engage a third-party service provider who collects and then provides us with several types of information:
- From and about users of our Website; and
- From people who fill out information-request forms on or through our Website.
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number (“personal information”);
- About your race, ethnicity, gender, age, country of origin, income level, and location (by county);
- About your business or prospective business, including without limitation details about the name, type, and location of your business, business contact information, and information about the owners of your business;
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
The information collected may include information:
This information is collected from you:
- Directly when you fill out information-request forms either on our Website or through a third-party service provider accessible through our Website; and
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP address, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
Information Collected Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
In addition to our collection of your IP address, our third-party service provider also uses automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns as you navigate and interact with our Website, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data, and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information We collect automatically does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. The data we collect and receive helps us to improve our Website, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Determine whether our Website is designed in a user-friendly way;
- Speed up your searches; and
- Better detect, prevent, and, if necessary, respond to malicious activity.
The technologies used for automatic data collection may include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Clinic, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related Website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity).
How We Use Your Information Inside the Clinic
We use information that We collect or receive about you, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you;
- To provide you with information, including whether you are eligible to become one of our clients;
- To invite you to Clinic events or to participate in Clinic activities;
- In any other way We may describe when you provide the information; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information Outside the Clinic
We may disclose without restriction aggregated information about our Website users and Clinic clients that does not contain personal information. We will disclose aggregated information, such as race, ethnicity, gender, age, country of origin, income level, and location (by county) regarding Clinic clients and potential clients to donors, sponsors, and other funders of Clinic’s services to report the number and demographics of Clinic clients and potential clients.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties, such as law students, legal interns, and attorneys We use to support our business and mission and who are bound by contractual and/or ethical obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which We disclose it to them;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information;
- In other ways, with your consent;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Clinic, its employees, clients, or others; and
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to Julieanna Elegant at firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at Small Business Legal Clinic, 310 SW Fourth Avenue, Suite 1018, Portland, Oregon 97204.
We have implemented reasonable measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We therefore cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to us through our Website, by a third-party service provider, by e-mail, or through information-request forms you fill out either directly on our Website or through a third-party service provider. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website, any e-mail service provider, or on any third-party websites.