Professor of Law
Robert M Reynolds
Erskine B. Wood Hall
Before Professor Johnston joined the faculty in fall 1991, he practiced in Boston, Massachusetts, and Portland, Oregon. As assistant regional counsel with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Boston, Johnston worked on major enforcement matters under both the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). In Portland he founded the environmental section of the Perkins Coie Portland office and represented clients on compliance and litigation matters. In 1987 he was awarded the EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service; in 1985 he received the Bernard F. O’Rourke Award from Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College for excellence in the field of natural resources. Johnston has published numerous articles in the field of environmental law and has coauthored a casebook on hazardous waste law, published by West. He is also an avid runner and is the organizer of a cross-country relay effort (see http://www.runamerica.org).
Specialty Areas & Course Descriptions
- Environmental Law
- Hazardous Waste Law
- Environmental Enforcement
- Adviser to Environmental Law Moot Court Team
- Supreme Court and the Environment
- Clean Water Act
- B.A. 1978 University of Rochester
- J.D. magna cum laude 1985 Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College
Separately Published Works
- CONCISE HORNBOOK SERIES: PRINCIPLES OF ENVIRONMENTAL LAW, West Academic Publishing (co-authored with Melissa Powers) (2015)
- LEGAL PROTECTION OF THE ENVIRONMENT (West Publishing Co. 2005, 2nd Edition 2007, 3rd Edition 2010) (co-authored with William F. Funk and Victor B. Flatt).
- THE LAW OF HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL AND REMEDIATION: CASES, LEGISLATION, REGULATION, POLICIES (West Publishing Co. 1996; Second Edition, 2005) (co-authored with Jeffrey G. Miller).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Sackett: The Road Forward, 42 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 997 (2013)
- Cleaning Up the Mess: The Supreme Court Restores Voluntary Cleanups under CERCLA, 22 JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL LAW & LITIGATION 313 (2008).
- CERCLA Brief, 37 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 411 (2007).
- Salmon and Water Temperature: Taking Endangered Species Seriously in Establishing Water Quality Standards, 33 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 151 (2003).
- An Essay on Environmental Audit Privileges: The Right Problem, the Wrong Solution, 25 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 335 (1995).
- Who Decides Who’s Liable Under CERCLA?: EPA Slips a Bombshell into the CERCLA Reauthorization Process, 24 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 1045 (1994).
- Don’t Go Near the Water: The Ninth Circuit Undermines Water Quality Enforcement, 24 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 1289 (1994).
- Hazardous Waste Law Update: An Outline of the Most Significant Judicial Decisions of 1990, 21 CHEMICAL WASTE LITIGATION REPORTER 756 (1991).
- The Big Chill: The Impact of Fleet Factors on Lenders, 20 CHEMICAL WASTE LITIGATION REPORTER 380 (1990) (co-authored with Patrick A. Parenteau).
- Court Finds New Basis of Liability, THE NATIONAL LAW JOURNAL, May 13, 1991, at 21 (co-authored with Patrick A. Parenteau and Mary C. Wood).