Jeffrey Bain Faculty Scholar and Professor of Law
Legal Research Center 339
Legal Assistant: Ronna Craig
Professor Blum practiced as an attorney in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 1972 to 1975 and as an advocate in the following two years. Blum taught part time at the School of Law of the University of Witwatersrand while in practice as an advocate. He joined the law school faculty in 1978. Blum has published law review articles on bankruptcy law, contracts and commercial law as well as a books on bankruptcy and debtor-creditor law and contracts.
Specialty Areas and Course Descriptions
- BA 1969
- LLB cum laude 1971 University of Witwatersrand
- LLM 1978 University of Michigan Law School
Separately Published Works
- CONTRACTS: CASES, DISCUSSION, AND PROBLEMS, co-authored with Amy Bushaw (2003; Second Edition, 2008; Third Edition 2012; Fourth Edition, 2017, Fifth Edition, 2022 (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, now Aspen Publishing)).
- CONTRACTS, EXAMPLES AND EXPLANATIONS (1998; Second Edition, 2001; Third Edition, 2004, Fourth Edition, 2007, Fifth Edition, 2011; Sixth Edition, 2013; Seventh Edition, 2017, Eighth Edition, 2021 (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, now Aspen Publishing)).
- BANKRUPTCY AND DEBTOR/CREDITOR: EXAMPLES AND EXPLANATIONS (Little, Brown & Co. 1993; Aspen Law & Business, Second Edition, 1999; Third Edition, 2004; Fourth Edition, 2006; Fifth Edition 2010; Sixth Edition, 2014; Seventh Edition, (with Samir Parikh) 2018.))
- MECHANICS’ AND CONSTRUCTION LIENS IN ALASKA, OREGON AND WASHINGTON (Butterworth 1987).
- OREGON DEBTOR-CREDITOR LAW (Butterworth 1985 and 2d ed. 1992).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
The Protean Concept of Materiality in Contract Law, 2020 MICHIGAN STATE LAW REVIEW 643.
Equity’s Leaded Feet in a Contest of Scoundrels: The Assertion of the In Pari Delicto Defense Against a Lawbreaking Plaintiff and Innocent Successors, 44 HOFSTRA LAW REVIEW 781 (2016)
- The Goals and Process of Reorganizing Small Businesses in Bankruptcy, 4 JOURNAL OF SMALL & EMERGING BUSINESS LAW 181 (2000).
- Nepawoky (Poem), 22 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 791 (1992).
- Oregon’s New Fraudulent Transfers Act, OREGON DEBTOR-CREDITOR NEWSLETTER, Volume VI, No. 2, Summer, 1986, at 2.
- Assent and Accountability in Contract: An Analysis of Objective Standards in Contemporary Contract Adjudication, 59 ST. JOHNS LAW REVIEW 1 (1984).
- Participation, Assent and Liberty in Contract Formation, ARIZONA STATE LAW JOURNAL 901 (1982) (co-authored with Juliana B. Wellman).
- Notice to Holders in Due Course and Other Bona Fide Purchasers Under the U.C.C., 22 BOSTON COLLEGE LAW REVIEW 203 (1981).
- The Use of Just Tertii Defenses by an Obligor on a Negotiable Instrument, 84 COMMERCIAL LAW JOURNAL 131 (1979).
- Agreements Signed in Blank, 94 SOUTH AFRICAN LAW JOURNAL 395 (1977).