Professor Newell served as a clerk in 1965-66 to the Honorable William Byrne, U.S. District Court. In private practice in Los Angeles and Glendale, California, from 1966 to 1971, he represented many large and small corporations, including banks and surety companies, and specialized in business and commercial law and civil litigation. He is a member of the California and Oregon State Bars.
On his most recent sabbatical he served as a consultant to a Las Vegas law firm which specializes in entertainment and intellectual property matters.
He is a six time winner of the Leo Levenson Award for excellence in teaching.
Specialty Areas and Course Descriptions
- BA 1962 Pomona College
- JD 1965 Harvard University Law School
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
Separately Published Works
- SECURITY INTERESTS IN PERSONAL PROPERTY: CASES, NOTES AND MATERIALS (Butterworth 1987).
Works Published As Part of a Collection
- Will Kindness Kill Contract? 24 HOFSTRA LAW REVIEW 455 (1995).
- Edmund O. Belsheim: Teacher, 25 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW xi (1995).
- Cleaning Up U.C.C. Section 2-209, 27 IDAHO LAW REVIEW 487 (1991).
- Robert L. Myers: Professor Emeritus of Law, 20 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW i (1990, No. 4).
- Ten Survival Suggestions for Rookie Law Teachers, 33 JOURNAL OF LEGAL EDUCATION 693 (1983).
- The 1973 Oregon Changes to the Uniform Commercial Code, in 1973 OREGON LEGISLATION (Oregon State Bar Continuing Legal Education 1973).
- The Merchant of Article 2, 7 VALPARAISO LAW REVIEW 307 (1973).
- Book Review, 62 KENTUCKY LAW JOURNAL 297 (1973) (reviewing Frederick M. Hart and William F. Willier, COMMERCIAL PAPER UNDER THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE (1972).