School navigation

Law Admissions

All admitted International Exchange Students are selected at the discretion of their home institution based on a formal Memorandum of Understanding between the foreign institution and Lewis & Clark Law School. Immediately after your home institution informs the Law School of its selection, you should receive a detailed e-mail from us containing an outline of the required steps and associated deadlines. If you believe that you will be attending Lewis & Clark Law School as an exchange student at the Law School and have not received this e-mail, contact Liz Hobbs at the address below.

Registration: Exchange students must select their own courses with the advice of their home institution. These selections should be presented to Lewis & Clark Law School (contact below) as soon as possible. You will be registered after your course choices are approved by the Dean of Students. Courses fill quickly and we are unable to offer exceptions to exchange students, so make your selections early!

Important: See our International Exchange Student Course Selection Policies to assist in this process.

Contact:                                                                                                            Liz Liz Hobbs in Academic Affairs at: Phone: (503) 768-6648


Liz Hobbs, Administrative Specialist in the law school Academic Affairs office, is the contact person for immigration processes at the Law School. Liz collaborates closely with the campus-wide International Students & Scholars Office. You can contact her office with questions regarding your immigration process.

Important:  You will need to provide the following information no later than 3 months prior to the date you wish to arrive in the U.S.:

1)      Certificate of Financial Responsibility
The U.S. government requires educational institutions to obtain evidence that applicants have adequate funds to pay for their educational and living expenses while studying in the United States. To comply, international students must complete a financial certificate and provide proof of funding as described.  If you have not already received this information, contact for the current minimum costs associated with your program.

2)      Supplement for International Law/Graduate Student Applicants form
You must complete a supplemental form in order for the Law School to issue the documents necessary to obtain a US student visa.

3)      It is up to you to monitor that all requirements are fulfilled within your arrival timeline.  After receiving all necessary information, the Law School will provide an I-20 form valid for obtaining an F-1 visa.

The I-20 form includes specific instructions regarding entry or departure from the country whilst on this student visa. These instructions include a mandatory meeting in-person with Liz Hobbs, Designated School Official ,at the Law School with appropriate documentation.

Visit this site for a comprehensive list of information you will need to prepare for your immigration process here.


Liz Hobbs - Academic Affairs
Lewis & Clark Law School
10015 SW Terwilliger Boulevard
Portland, Oregon 97219-7799                                                                                                                                                                       Phone: (503) 768-6648

International Students & Scholars

The International Students & Scholars Office serves all three campuses of Lewis & Clark—Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law—their primary involvement with your experience at Lewis & Clark is limited to your immigration processes relating to practical training after your time as a student expires, or if your immigration needs are particularly complex. They also have a wealth of resources on their website, so be sure to check it out!


Unless a student objects, the Law School recommends that all International Exchange Students live in campus housing on the College of Arts and Sciences campus. You should have received information and deadlines for reserving your housing along with your official notification of acceptance. If you did not, or have questions contact Liz Hobbs at as soon as possible. Space is limited.

Information on Employment

To work off-campus, students must have permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

International students who are on F-1 visas and who are enrolled full-time may work legally on campus after obtaining approval from International Students and Scholars (ISS). The process takes approximately twenty minutes and requires students to complete several government forms. Students should bring their passports, I-94 and I-20 forms to ISS and complete the On-campus Employment Verification process. Students may interview for positions before completing the forms in the packet, but should complete the forms and turn them in before beginning employment. In order to engage in any type of paid work you will need to obtain a social security card.

Very important links (Please review them all)

Academic Support at Lewis & Clark

Information on Banking

Information on Transportation

Information about phone service (scroll down for information about mobile phones)

Introduction to the U.S. Government

Health Insurance Options

Portland Multicultural Resource Guide