Check Disbursements

Check Processing

Checks are processed by Accounts Payable in the college's Business Office once a week. Check Requests received by 12:00 PM on Thursday at the law school are available on the Friday next week after 12:00 PM in the Business Services Office. Upon request checks may be mailed to home or business addresses but not through campus mail. You must have original receipts, invoices or supporting documents to be reimbursed by the college.

Expense Reimbursement

Employees and students may spend their own funds for college related expenses and submit a request for reimbursement. Submit this request to Business Services on a Request for Check/Cash Reimbursement Form (download this form from the Business Office website). Source documentation, including a detailed itemized receipt and proof of payment, must accompany the check request. Requests for under $50 may be eligible for petty cash reimbursement. Cash is dispensed upon receipt of correct documentation.

Payments to Independent Contractors

All payments to independent contractors must be processed through Business Services. Independent contractors are vendors who perform services for the college but are not employees of the college. Please contact the Business Services office for assistance in determining whether a payment is to an independent contractor.

The compensation paid to the independent contractors is taxable. However, no taxes are withheld from the payments. The income is reported to the recipient and to the IRS at the end of each tax year on Form 1099. For this reason, it is very important that the payments to the independent contractors are made by Accounts Payable. Please do not pay anyone who has performed a service with cash or personal check. By doing so you would place the college in violation of the Internal Revenue Code and our ability to reimburse you is at a risk.

In order to make a payment to an independent contractor, submit a completed Check Request or approved invoice to Business Services with a W-9 form attached that has been completed by the contractor. The W-9 form provides the tax identification number (TIN) of the contractor and certifies that the TIN is correct and that the contractor is not subject to backup withholding. These forms are available for downloading on the Business Office web site.

If the individual is from a foreign country, please contact Business Services as soon as you decide to contract services. It takes several weeks to complete the paperwork necessary to pay nonresident aliens.