Law Graduate Information
The May 16, 2020 in-person Commencement ceremony is postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak. We are making plans for a replacement event and will post updates as we have them.
- Graduation Requirements
- Degree Application Information (Due October 31, 2019)
- Certificate Application Information
- Instructions and information concerning the graduation ceremony (PDF)
- Requesting Accommodations or ASL Interpreters (Deadline: Friday, May 8, 2020)
- Live Webcast of commencement
- Law School Commencement Schedule
Cap & Gown
Cap and gown pick up will be done in the Student Lounge of the Law School on April 16 and 17, 2020 from 11am-2pm and 5pm-6pm. If you are unable to pick up your regalia, you may designate somebody to pick it up. You must provide written permission or email to release your regalia to your designee. This note needs to be given to the Jostens representative. If it is impossible for you to pick up your regalia on the dates listed above, you can pick it up in the Career Services office area from April 19 to May 13 during business hours. The last chance to pick up regalia is on commencement day from 8:15-9:30am in Zentbauer Room 126 (adjacent to Pamplin Sports Center). A few extra caps and gowns will be at Zentbauer if there are size issues. Graduates will be “hooded” on stage. You will not get a hood with the cap and gown package.
Graduates are allowed to keep their regalia and hood. There is no charge for the regalia.
Graduation Announcement Cards
Graduation announcements will be available in March for pick-up from the Registrar’s office. The Registrar’s Office will email graduating students when the announcements are available. There is no charge for the announcements. There are no tickets necessary for the ceremony.
Honor cords are provided to LLM and MSL Degree students, as well as students earning academic honors and Cornelius Honor Society members. The Law Reviews and student organizations may elect to provide graduation cords to their members. Students should contact student groups directly to inquire about the availability and ordering of honor cords. As of January 2020, the following honor codes are available through the Student Affairs Office:
Cord Color Honors/Recognizes
Gold LLM Degree
Dark Green MSL Degree
Silver Academic Honors
Purple Cornelius Honor Society membership
Green & White Environmental Law Review membership
Black & Orange Lewis & Clark Law Review membership
Red, White & Blue Military and Veterans
White Peace Corps, Americorps Service
Red & Gold Asian Pacific American Law Student Association membership
Green & Silver Business Law Society membership
Green & Gold Student Bar Association service
Commencement Day Schedule for Graduates
9:15 am Arrive, in regalia, at Pamplin Sports Center. Please be on time.
9:15 am Photographs: Law Review Groups, LLM graduates, MSL graduates
9:30 am Photographs: All graduates
9:50 am FORMATION FOR PROCESSIONAL -
- Graduates will be assembled in lines for the processional by faculty members serving as student marshals. Each graduate will be checked off a list and name pronunciations will be checked. Anyone not present will have their name crossed off the list and their name will not be called. This takes at least one hour. Please do not get out of line after your name is verified.
11:00 am THE PROCESSIONAL -
- Follow the instructions of the student marshals. Graduates lead the processional followed by faculty and the platform party.
11:15 am CONFERRING OF DEGREES -
- Following the commencement address, Dean Johnson will “present” the class. Graduates will be asked to stand, and then to come forward to receive their degrees.
- Graduates will come forward by rows. The students marshals will instruct each row when it is time to proceed toward the stage. Leave your cap on your seat, you will be hooded on stage. When you are the next to be called, stop at the bottom of the steps until your name is called.
- As soon as your name is read, proceed up the steps, stop in front of the person hooding. Turn to face the audience to be hooded.
- Next, walk to Dean Johnson who will shake your hand. A photographer will take your picture as the Dean hands you your diploma. Move on to President Wim Wiewel who will shake your hand. Proceed on across the stage to receive the congratulations of the commencement speaker and other members of the platform party.
- Finally, proceed down the steps at the far end of the stage for a photo and to be directed to your seat.
- When you return to your seat remain standing until all graduates have received degrees. You will be directed when to be seated.
End of the Ceremony & Dessert Reception
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, please walk through the lobby and outside, where you can take photos with family and friends. Please do not stay in the lobby area - many people will need to exit behind you.
- You and your family and friends are invited to proceed to the Law School for a dessert reception and the Children’s Commencement Ceremony.