Law Admissions - Law School - Lewis & Clark

In August, before the start of the academic year, we offer our two-credit International LLM Seminar: Introduction to U.S. Environmental Law and Legal Study to incoming international LLM students. This seminar provides international students with a concentrated introduction to the United States legal structure and methods for the successful study of law. The seminar is a prerequisite for all incoming Lewis & Clark international LLMs who were not trained in the common law tradition.


The campus-wide International Students & Scholars Office (ISO) is the main point of contact for any visa or immigration questions. You can contact their office with questions regarding your immigration process.

Important:  The ISO office will contact you regarding the forms below AFTER they are informed you are admitted into the LLM Program.

  1. Certificate of Financial Responsibility

    The U.S. government requires educational institutions to obtain evidence that applicants have adequate funds to pay for their educational and living expenses while studying in the United States. To comply, international students must complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility and the Supplement for International Law/Graduate Student Applicants forms and email those to Liz Hobbs at  Liz will provide the associated costs after receiving those forms.  You will then need to provide proof of funding per her detailed request.

  2. Supplement for International Law/Graduate Student Applicants form

    You must complete a supplemental form in order for the Law School to issue the documents necessary to obtain a US student visa.

  3. It is up to you to monitor that all requirements are fulfilled within your arrival timeline.  After receiving all necessary information, the Law School will provide an I-20 form valid for obtaining an F-1 visa.

The I-20 form includes specific instructions regarding entry or departure from the country whilst on this student visa. These instructions include a mandatory meeting in-person with your Designated School Official  at the Law School with appropriate documentation.

Here is a comprehensive list of information you will need to prepare for your immigration process.

International Students & Scholars Office

The International Students & Scholars Office serves all three campuses of Lewis & Clark—Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law. Their primary involvement with your experience at Lewis & Clark is limited to your immigration processes relating to practical training after your time as a student expires, or if your immigration needs are particularly complex. They also have a wealth of resources on their website, so be sure to check it out!


The Law Admissions Office at Lewis & Clark maintains a comprehensive housing resource guide. The Law School reserves a small number of spots in its campus housing described at the above link for the use of international students.  If you are interested in reserving one of these spots (this will require a deposit) contact Billy Walker at as soon as possible. These spots are released to the entire student body no later than July 15 th .

Information on Employment

To work off-campus, students must have permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

International students who are on F-1 visas and who are enrolled full-time may work legally on campus after obtaining approval from International Students and Scholars (ISS). The process takes approximately twenty minutes and requires students to complete several government forms. Students should bring their passports, I-94 and I-20 forms to ISS and complete the On-campus Employment Verification process. Students may interview for positions before completing the forms in the packet, but should complete the forms and turn them in before beginning employment. In order to engage in any type of paid work you will need to obtain a social security card.

Other important links

Academic Support at Lewis & Clark

Information on Banking

Information on Transportation

Information about phone service (scroll down for information about mobile phones)

Introduction to the U.S. Government

Portland Multicultural Resource Guide